.

The Mommy Detective - cracking the code on your family's drama.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

As A Mom.....


I've joined a new group at http://www.asamom.org/  This networking site was started by a mom that appeared on the Glenn Beck show and felt isolated politically.  I love the site.  It allows you to connect with moms, grandmothers, aunts - all women - all across the country.  It's not just a political site.  There's discussions on education, healthcare, children's rights, parent's rights, current events etc...

I was looking at some discussions on education and I found this comment made by Elizabeth, a Teacher in Georgia.  I felt it was so important that it must be covered here.  Elizabeth is exactly right - change must begin at home!

To all Teachers and Moms,
We teachers have a unique view into the private lives of our school children from kindergarten through 12th grade. I have taught in Georgia public schools for 17 years...middle (12yrs) and elementary (5yrs). I am also a Mommy Patriot of 3 sons. I made sure that they grew to be decent, responsible young men. My husband and I are solely responsible for how they turned out, not the school system

Here are just a few of my observations as a public school teacher:
Over the last 30 years, the less parents do, the more teachers/schools are required to do.  At lunch each day, most kids eat part of the free lunch and throw it and the unopened milk away. Then they pull out a wad of money to buy ice cream and soda. Schools defend the ice cream/soda machines because they're fund raisers. I watched my principal many days stand beside the trash can and pull out the unopened milks after they were dumped. She gave extra to any child who wanted one and put the rest in the teachers' lounge for us.

Many middle school girls in poor areas come to school with bloody underwear and ask to go to the nurse each day for pads. That should not be the school's regular expense, but it's forced on us. No one at home is keeping up with their periods and buying what they need. I use those moments to show girls how to use the calendar to predict the next period. No wonder you hear parents say that they didn't know their child was pregnant.

Each winter I always had 1 or 2 students come to school without jackets. A few would claim they "forgot" it. Some would admit they don't have one. No matter what the excuse was, I'd always write a tactful comment in their agenda about remembering the jacket. That covered my butt. As my own 3 boys outgrew their jackets, I waited for those moments to discreetly give them away.

Many students come to school exhausted, because they are allowed to stay up late each night, especially when there are home problems. Many admit that they had cereal for dinner. Low energy and poor nutrition affect test scores!!!! Some don't have their book bags because it was left in the other parent's car. Too many parents aren't making sure to enforce school work. Most parents don't have any idea what's in their child's book bag. Parents have the right to open it and see for themselves what their child takes to school.

If the parent actually showed for a conference, they acted like it was a major imposition and seemed to be well fed, groomed, and dressed, but their child was lacking. I constantly gave out healthy snacks in class as long as they were working and cooperating with me. After these conferences, nothing would change. The student's problems in school continued. By 6th grade, students know if their parents care or not.

Too many parents year after year assume that the teacher is automatically lying about their child. Parents who do that just don't want to deal with the problem. After weeks of writing in a student's agenda that he was sleeping in class, the mother would not believe me. When she finally showed for a conference, I showed her a picture of him asleep in class. She believed me then, but the problem continued.

There are a lot more school examples all across the country, but you can see why I don't feel sorry for those who refuse to help themselves. All over our country, too many parents make no effort to be responsible for their kids. Too many students are learning from their parents (or whoever they "stay" with) that their situation is not their responsibility or fault. Too many refuse to accept the consequences for their actions and they think they are owed the same as those who get an education and take responsibility for their lives.

With Georgia's Hope Scholarship Program, our parents and students have no excuse!!

Even though saying the right thing isn't always the popular thing, I wish you would say something to American parents about their personal responsibility for their own children and to stop blaming teachers/schools.

President Obama's speech to students was good, but it did not speak to the parents. Parents don't realize how their inattentions undo the best efforts made by schools and teachers. Only parents can fix their home problems!!!!!

The "Change We Need" should start at home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you,
Elizabeth Gillespie

 
Thank You Elizabeth.  I believe in supporting our "good" teachers.  And you were/are definitely one of those.  I also always felt that if my children weren't doing well in school, that it was my job to find out why - not the teachers.  As parents we are RESPONSIBLE for our children until they reach the age of accountability.  Being responsible means being involved - outside job or not!  Your child must be your #1 priority.
 
Seeking His Wisdom
 
Debbie

No comments: