.

The Mommy Detective - cracking the code on your family's drama.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Vaccinations for children

Yes, I vaccinated all my children - but....that was 30 years ago.  I'm not going to tell you not to vaccinate your children but I do hope you will put on your mommy detective hat and take a look at the well known facts. 

I googled "childhood vaccinations pros and cons" and came up with 148,000 sites.  Whew!  I googled childhood immunizations and came up with 757,000 sites.  Clearly this is a huge topic. 

Here's my problem.  I've told you that you don't need a $200,000 degree to ask questions.  I have a problem with the fact that.....yes....autism and a host of other childhood mental issues did exist in the 1800-early 1900's; but in 2000 they seem to be on a rapid and furious rise.  The question then is why.  Why was autism an unheard of disease in the 1950's and now it affects one in a hundred?  I remember watching an Elvis movie where he helps an autistic child.  I mentioned the movie in one of my psychology classes and the professor dismissed the problem as "rare".  Why is it so prevalent now? 

I do think most parents are too quick to give their children anything the doctor prescribes.  A Parent's #1 job is to protect and defend their children.  Parents must be investigators, weigh the information and be a little slower to act on the current "fad".  We also need to be careful about how we gather information and make sure we are balanced mommy detectives.  After all, the rise in a particular problem may have many reasons.  Perhaps the rise in autism or ADD is caused by multiple factors.  Some may be medical, some because of society and stress, some from daycare, some from pollution and some from preservatives.  We need to be very careful not to wear blinders but instead to open our eyes to every possibility.

Having said that, Let's see if we can present a different view.  Let's look first at the beginning of life.

Should a pregnant mother get a flu shot?

To answer that problem thoroughly, let's look first at the ingredients in most flu shots.  The following information was taken from a publication by Tedd Koren for informational use in major medical offices.

There are 25 micrograms of mercury per dose in most flu shots (multi-dose vial).  That level is judged safe by the FDA for a 550 lb. person.  In 1999, Federal agencies called for the removal of mercury in vaccines.  In 2001 the American Academy of Pediatrics insisted that "Mercury in all of its forms is toxic to the fetus and children."  Many flu vaccines still contain mercury.  Vaccine information

Some flu shot ingredients

Chicken embryos - those allergic to chicken, including eggs and feathers, can become seriously ill from the vaccination
Sodium phosphate - can affect heart and central nervous system
Sodium deoxycholate - a tumor promoter and DNA damaging agent
Mercury - a brain and nervous system toxin
Formaldehyde - cancer causing
Beta propiolactone - toxic to the liver and to the x intestinal tract
Gentamicin sulfate & polymyxin - antibiotics (doctors constantly told me not to give too many antibiotics because it would prevent them from working later on... but apparently in this form it's okay?)
Neomycin sulfate - antibiotics
MSG (monosodium glutamate) - causes brain damage in experimental animals
Gelatin - obtained from selected pieces of calf, pork and cattle skin
Polyethylene glycol-p-isooctylphenyl ether - spermacide (kills sperm); can cause chills, confusion, dizziness, fever, lightheadedness, muscle aches, peeling of the skin; causes severe eye irritation; harmful if swallowed, inhaled or in contact with skin.  Manufacturer states:  FOR RESEARCH USE ONLY.  NOT FOR HUMAN OR DRUG USE

This list makes me angry.  It also makes me wonder if the rise in Alzheimer's, ADD, hyperactivity and other mental issues hasn't been caused by our use of some of these chemicals.  I eat out a lot and from now on I'm going to question the use of MSG.  I had no idea it caused brain damage.  Why would I want to take the chance of even a small amount of that chemical getting into my system?

If you aren't worried already....the article goes on to answer the question "Is it safe to vaccinate during pregnancy?"

Vaccination during pregnancy is dangerous and useless.  Researchers found that vaccinating mothers does not reduce respiratory illness in their infants nor reduce respiratory illness in their newborns.  "Maternal influenza vaccination did not significantly affect infant outpatient and inpatient visits for acute respiratory illness."  Why then do some doctors recommend pregnant women eat less tuna to avoid Mercury but also recommend the Mercury-laden flu shot?


Good question.  I am scheduled for a wellness clinic in Ann Arbor, Michigan September 24th.  Dr. Lazar will be speaking on Vaccinations and I will be speaking on discipline.  While these seem to be non-related topics, there may be more interaction than we think.

I plan to post even more information on the vaccine issue.  Many problems mothers face may be linked to our desire to "prevent" medical problems.  Instead of prevention, could we actually be causing other problems?

Seeking His Wisdom,

Debbie

4 comments:

Laura Parker said...

This is such a hard thing for me. I have had huge disagreements with the pediatrician over this. They do not give you support and unless you see a naturopathic or integrative medicine doctor you are made to feel like you are a bad parent by refusing certain vaccines. I have refused several only to find out months later,"she doesnt need that anymore shes too big..we only give those to infants." CHILDREN do not need ALL they are being given and every parent needs to do their homework. I agree. We can not take anything for face value anymore.

Amie Williams said...

I am in the situation right now where I am pregnant and refusing to get the flu vaccine. You would think I am the only person on earth who doesn't agree with the vaccine. I have never had confidence in the vaccine and have never gotten one before. I cannot say the last time I had the flu...years maybe. Why on would I get one now while pregnant when I refuse it any other time! My OB says she cannot force me but asks me about it everytime I visit and stated this last visit that she was going to check into the prevelance for this year. I work in a school system so she cannot understand why I would not get one. Has anyone heard of washing your hands. If you are aware of what you are touching and wash them accordingly that is half the battle. (my opinion)

Debbie Jansen said...

Thank you both for your comments. I guess I look at this as a personal issue where you both have done the proper research to make an intelligent decision based on your personal life. It's sad that so many professionals believe they have the right to "urge, force, demand or even control" what you do with your life. I applaud you for standing up for your right to make an intelligent decision!

Dr. Lazar said...

A few things to keep in mind:
1.) Your doctors work for YOU. It's not the other way around. If you go to the store and don't like the service, you find a different store. To give them the benefit if the doubt, I'm sure your doctors mean well. However, they are neglecting one very important component to your family's health and well being: the body's incredible ability to heal itself. Take care of the body by feeding it and watering it properly, rest well, laugh, pray, and read your Bible, and get your nervous system (the master controller of the body) in tip top shape with regular chiropractic adjustments.

On a funny note, have you ever wondered why people who vaccinate their kids don't want unvaccinated kids around their vaccinated kids? I always ask (lovingly, of course), "If your vaccines are really effective, why would you worry about your kids being exposed to pathogens? Germs don't kill, people. It's the body's inability to fight off infection (because of a vaccine-suppressed immune system, poorly functioning nervous system, and an underworked or underexposed immune system) that kills.