.

The Mommy Detective - cracking the code on your family's drama.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Trusting eyes


We had a wonderful Bichon named Sammy. He was such a huge part of our family. Because of liver disease and then a freak accident, June 5th, last Friday we had to make the decision to put him to sleep.

Ron, Jamie, Amie and I all went to the vet and we stood in a room and literally cried a river. Ron held him as the doctor gave the injection. It was calm and peaceful and definitely the right thing to do, but I'm heartbroken. I hate the quiet in this house and I miss noises and things that I never realized were just a part of my life.

I watched a fascinating show on The National Geographic channel called "Dog Genius". It documented research about how and why dogs respond to us. Researchers showed some of their experiments and why they concluded that dogs watch our eyes for clues to their own lives and responses.

It was amazing to watch dogs pick out a treat left under a "shell game" cup when the trainer gave the simple clue of darting his eyes to the right cup. Even puppies were able to pick the right cup 95% of the time. There were several other experiments and it was unbelievable to watch dogs take their clues from human eyes. After watching the research, we realized why Sammy seemed to go through all this better than we did.

Sammy was not normally calm when we went to the vet, but Friday he was perfectly calm and relaxed. We realized that he had intently watched our eyes during this entire miserable problem. We are sure he must have known that we were crying for him and that our decision was for his well-being. The last thing he did was to look up and into Ron's eyes. He was gone within seconds, but Ron and the rest of us still haven't stopped crying.

Leaving the vet I was struck with the thought that other individuals have made the same decision of euthanasia but about babies and parents. I don't think I could ever make that decision about another human being - no matter how peaceful. I don't think abortion would ever be an option for me.

If dogs watch so intently and study our eyes - do children? I thought about the eyes of a child and how many times they look to our faces for comfort or for recognition. How can anyone betray that kind of trust? How could any adult abuse or hurt that kind of innocent trust? How could any marriage that started out with two people pledging vows and looking into each others eyes --- how could you stoop so far down as to betray that kind of trust with violence?

I suppose without really thinking about it, that's why I compliment and honey and darling everyone. Maybe that's why I've spent my entire marriage doing all I can to build Ron's ego and to build a strong self-esteem for each of my children. Thinking back on bad times I now realize that when I'm angry and on the verge of exploding, I usually look at my family's eyes. That will stop me cold. How can I betray, demean or devalue the person behind those eyes?

When we were finally back home, I took the time to look at the eyes of my children. Their faces, sizes, hair and personalities have all changed over the years. But guess what? Their eyes are the same as they were when I held them in my arms and sang rock-a-bye. Maybe their eyes are a little larger - but everything about them is the same. And Ron, his eyes are just as loving, just as compassionate and just as accepting as they were when we were dating.

Maybe this world would be a better place if we paid more attention to the eyes of our family.

Seeking His Wisdom,

Debbie

No comments: